Sunday, July 3, 2011

Emperors Champion, finished.

Click for flickr. See if you can spot all the dust on my sensor.
 So, here he is. The Emperors Champion! I wouldn't say I've spent enough time on him. But really... there is just a time when all your patience is spent and you just want to do something entirely different. Like getting wasted on alcohol instead of acrylics...

The mushroom thing that's been going on? The word champion is quite close to the swedish word for mushroom, champinjon. So it's been the standing "joke". Not that it was especially funny, apart from finding new words for all the post headlines.

First time I've tried out working with non metallic metallics. I can't say I'm especially fond of it. It looks good from one certain angle. The illusion is really there. And then you move your head and it looks kinda weird. Almost like when you take off your glasses while watching a 3D-movie.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The model in itself is awesome, and there are no dead spaces you need to "hide" or anything like that. It's just "paint". The exercise in painting black was especially fun, if you find frustrating to be fun.

Originally I had a pretty blueish black, so when highlighting that I added more blue. The problem was that the blue I chose was pretty cold, so when the final highlights came on it looked really really off since the cold hue made the illusion that it was further back.


Color theory 101
The warmer highlight kinda pops out more than the blue (cooler) highlight. Even though the cool tone is lighter than the warm one the illusion of it being lighter is kinda diminished. Something I – with I don't know how many hours of color theory classes – really should've thought of. But when the urge to paint grabs you, you just go with the flow!

I'm gonna hit it with some matt varnish later today (especially on the base). So if you spot anything you think I should correct, now is the time to do it. I'll go and submit it tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice job on this! I definitely approve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!This piece was impressive, is it at GW Stockholm you are going to participate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :)
    Yes, it's at GW Stockholm. Was there yesterday and handed it in. If you're there on Saturday, look for the dude with the bigass-camera and say "Hi" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I will try to find you, coming in with both my kids so I might be trapped just inside the door. I guess there will be a lot of people there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did your mini do in the Finecast competition?

    ReplyDelete